Monday, June 3, 2013

One(ish) Year In

I started this blog over two years ago to chronicle my journey from fat to fit.  In the end of 2010 (when I started this blog), my goal was to lose 66 pounds by my 33rd birthday on December 16, 2011 - hence the name of the blog.  Such a loss would have left me at 190 pounds, so, if you do the math, I weighed about 256 pounds.  I was unsuccessful. 2011 went down as yet another unsuccessful weight loss year.  Rather than losing weight, I put on another 10 pounds.  While I can't say for certain, I'm pretty sure I topped out at 265-266.  I hated the way I looked.  I hated the way I felt.  I had high blood pressure and cholesterol problems.  I feared that I wouldn't live to see my two young sons grow up; with heart disease and diabetes in my family, I was certain I was on my way to having those issues at far too young an age.

Then, my sister posted some pictures from my son, Lincoln's, third birthday party.  They included these:


I just couldn't take it anymore.  I didn't want to forever try to avoid pictures because I hated how I looked, and I didn't want to look like this any more.  This was the year I was finally going to do something about it.  I had been really hesitant to sign up for any "weight loss program" in the past; I understood what I needed to do - eat less, move more.  That being said, I had never been able to keep it up for very long.  After doing some research, I decided to give Weight Watchers a try.  Kelli and I signed up together (she was still trying to lose the last bit of post-Mason baby weight) on or about February 7, 2012.  We're now a little over a year in and it occurred to me I haven't been very good at chronicling my journey, so I wanted to take a minute and jot down what I've done, where I am now, where I still hope to go, and some lessons learned/tips for others (for what that's worth).

So, here we go.  The "before" stats (as of the beginning of February 2012):
  • Weight - 262 pounds (this was the number I used when I started weight watchers, though, as I said earlier, I'm pretty sure I topped 265 or more at some point).  
  • Pants Size - 44, pushing a 46
  • Other Clothes Size - XXL
  • Sports Coat Size - 50
  • Physical Activity - Limited; couldn't run a block, let alone a mile.  
Some other before pictures:





At first, I was just doing the Weight Watchers diet.  I found I liked it.  It was easy to follow. It helped me realize what I was really eating.  It allowed for sum indulgences and I didn't have to cut anything out completely.  I ate more fruits and vegetables and less junk food.  I started seeing results almost immediately.  I lost almost 5 pounds in the first week.  By the end for the first four weeks I had lost 5% of my weight - 14.4 pounds.  This was just with eating.  A pic from just over one month in:


I hit the 10% mark (26.2 pounds) in the beginning of May, but found myself starting to plateau a little.  Since I still hadn't exercising, I decided I would start.  We had joined the YMCA earlier in the year, but I found I had a hard time getting there in the morning.  I had always hated running - even the thought of running - but I decided to give it a try (no need to drive the the gym).  In June, I started running three times a week.  

I found myself starting to like running.  As I got into it, I decided that a goal would help.  Since Kelli had been a runner, she agreed to set the goal with me.  We decided to start training for a half marathon. With some tweaks - getting good shoes and gear - I've come to really like running.  I started slowly, running only one minute out of five.  Then I increased the time until I could run a mile without stopping, then two, then three.  

In October, I ran my first 5K - finishing in 32:50:


On the Saturday after Thanksgiving, I ran my first 10K and met my goals of finishing without having to walk and in under 72 minutes (68):


In March we ran a 10 mile race; 1 hour, 56 minutes.  



At the end of April, we ran the Nashville Half Marathon.  It was a wet, cold day; it rained the whole time.  I think that slowed us a bit, but we did ok.  We finished in right around 2 hours and 40 minutes.  I would do it again.  I'm also toying with the idea of doing a full marathon - once - just to say I've done it.  




Clearly, my physical fitness has improved dramatically one year in.   I'm off my blood pressure and cholesterol medicine and my health is much better.  I hope that it continues.  I have neglected other forms of exercise - strength and cross training.  In addition to doing some runs this year, my goals are to increase those other aspects of my fitness routine.  I've been plateauing the last few months and I'm hoping that will help.

My other "One-Year-In" stats:
  • Weight - 207.5 (lowest recorded to date - that's 54.5 pounds)
  • Pants Size - 38, can squeeze into a 36 in some brands
  • Other Clothes Size - Large
  • Suit Coat Size - 44
I still have a ways to go.  I would like to get down to between 185 and 190 pounds and a solid size 36 pant.  But (most of the time) I feel pretty good about how far I've come.

An interim "after" picture (with my beautiful wife and kids - they're better to look at anyway):




And now, for a few things I've learned and tips I would share with others trying to lose weight:

  1. There's No Secret.  For years, I fell prey to (and spent tons of money on) pills and gimmicks that would supposedly help me lose weight.  There is no trick, gimmick, or secret.  One loses weight by eating less and better and moving/exercising more.
  2. It's Hard.  Losing weight the right way is hard.  Be patient.
  3. It takes Time.  You don't put weight on in a week or month, and it takes a while to take it off.  It is frustrating sometimes that it doesn't come off like it seems to in the weight loss shows on TV.  I have had a hard time being patient, but I feel like I can keep off what I have taken off.  They say you should shoot for 1-2 pounds a week.
  4. Pick a Fitness Goal.  Committing to run the half marathon and making a training plan really helped me stick with the running.  
I'm sure there are - and will be - more, but that's all I can think of for now.  




No comments:

Post a Comment